- Associate Professor at the CS Department, University of Rome 'La Sapienza'.
Facoltà di Ingegneria dell'Informazione, Informatica e Statistica.
- Director of the SEnsors NetworkS and Embedded Systems (SENSES) laboratory
- Deputy director of the networked embedded and mobile system activities of the joint lab on security research of "Sapienza Innovazione," the technology incubator of the Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza." "La Sapienza" liaison for the Artemisia Association, a joint technology initiative of the EU on embedded system research.
- Member of the Executive Board of CINI, Italian Inter-university Consortium on Computer Science.
- PhD in Computer Engineering, University of Rome 'La Sapienza', 1998.
- Laurea degree (MSc equivalent) in Computer Science with honors, University of Rome 'La Sapienza', 1993
Design and performance evaluation of telecommunication protocols, in particular in the area of mobile communications and networking. Current research addresses the design of energy-efficient solutions for wireless networks; the development and evaluation of protocols for ad hoc and sensor networks, personal area networks, RFID-based systems; cognitive radio networks; the design of architectures and protocols for underwater sensor networks and delay tolerant networks; the design of architectures and systems for Personal Health Management; the development of solution for content delivery networks.
Previous working experiences
- 2001-2006: Assistant Professor at the Computer Science Department, University of Rome 'La Sapienza'
- 1998-2000: Research Associate (post-doc position) at the Telecommunication Engineering Department, Politecnico di Milano
- 1998: awarded a grant to work at the Agenzia Spaziale Italiana (Italian Space Agency) on satellite telecommunications
- 1995-1996: awarded a Fulbright grant. Visiting Research Associate at the Advanced Communications Technologies laboratory, Boston University.
- 1994: worked at Alenia Spazio SpA
More details on my recent activities can be found here.
Students & Postdocs
- Donatella Ermini
- Loreto Pescosolido
- Roberto Petroccia
Class of 2014
- David Benedetti (anticollision protocols for RFID systems)
- Daniele Spaccini (communication protocols for underwater sensor networks)
Class of 2013
- Alessandro Cammarano (cognitive radio networks, energy harvesting wireless sensor networks)
- Angelo Capossele (wireless sensor networks security)
- Ariona Shashaj (theoretical foundations of underwater sensor networks)
Class of 2012
- Dora Spenza, Google PhD Fellow in Wireless Networking (Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor Networks)
- Alessandro Camillò (protocol stacks for wireless sensor networks)
Class of 2010
- Roberto Petroccia (Underwater sensor networks, hierarchical schemes for sensor networks), in charge of coordinating the underwater monitoring system development team at La Sapienza spinoff WSENSE.
Class of 2009
- Alessio Carosi (Mobile sensor networks), Broadcomm, Cambridge, UK.
Class of 2008
- Michele Mastrogiovanni (Cross-layer solutions for terrestrial and underwater sensor networks), now with Engineering SpA.
- Michele Nati (Cross-layer solutions for sensor networks, geographic routing), post doc researcher, University of Surrey, UK.
- Claudio Vicari (Replica placement and trasparent user requests redirection in Content Delivery Networks)
Dr. Chiara Petrioli, PhD
Associate Professor, Dipartimento di Informatica Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza", Via Salaria 113, 00198 Roma ITALY (room 311)
Tel: +39 0649918354
Fax: +39 06 8541842